Now that the dark evenings are creeping in, we’re eschewing busy weekday schedules for cosy nights in, curtains drawn, lamps glowing. The perfect accompaniment to autumn evenings is this ultimate hot chocolate recipe – it’s so much better than anything you could make from a powder.
- 150g 70% dark chocolate (use half milk chocolate if you have a sweeter tooth)
- Chocolate sprinkles
- 450ml milk
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1-2 tbsp sugar to taste
- Whipped cream* and chocolate or toffee sauce
- Grate 100g of chocolate into a bowl with the cinnamon
- Melt the remaining chocolate in a bowl over simmering water. Dip the rims of the glasses into the chocolate, then dip in sprinkles
- Heat the milk in a pan until hot, but not quite boiling. Pour the hot milk over the chocolate and cinnamon whilst whisking until frothy. Pour the chocolate milk mixture into your glasses
- Top with lightly whipped cream and chocolate or caramel sauce. Serve immediately with a chocolate and marshmallow stirrer to sweeten and nibble.
Marshmallow Fudge Stirrers
Makes enough fudge for 36 stirrers(!)
- 100ml double cream
- 397g tin of condensed milk
- 1 packet of marshmallows
- 600g chopped chocolate, half dark and half milk
- Skewers or sticks to serve
- Line an 8 x 8” pan with baking parchment
- Heat the cream and condensed milk until steaming hot, but not boiling. Remove from the heat and add the chopped chocolate. Stir and allow to melt for 10 minutes.
- Return to a very low heat and whisk until all chocolate has melted then pour into the pan and set overnight
- Remove from the pan and paper and cut into squares with a hot knife. Dust with cocoa and place a chocolate square and a marshmallow on a skewer to serve.
*Go on, get the stuff in the can. I won’t tell.